Saturday, June 7, 2008

Why aren't people protecting themselves?

I ran across this blog today while I was stumbling called "Dad's House" and this one particular post about one night stands and not using protection. I've been in a monogamous relationship for 13 years now, so I've been a bit out of the loop. However, with all the information available today on STD's and how to prevent them, I would have hoped that people would know better by now. Not only that, but without protection, if you end up getting pregnant or impregnating a woman, you may be setting yourself up for 18 years of heartbreak and chaos trying to raise a child you love with somebody not functioning with a full deck. Why wouldn't you use protection or why wouldn't a man or woman INSIST on protection? Seriously, if that person doesn't care enough about him or herself to protect themselves or respect you enough to insist on protection, what are you doing sleeping with them? Some of the people that individuals pick up for a one night stand you wouldn't choose to walk your dog so why would you risk not only life-altering and life-threatening diseases but pregnancy as well?

This is a sore subject for me so you will find that I can get quite outspoken about this. The choices made in one moment will not only impact you, but can also impact the child you may create, future relationships and future children as well.

Never believe that the other person is taking birth control or can't get pregnant! Never! Always insist on a condom!

As a parent, I intend to ensure my children know how to protect themselves when they are older. They won't be naive about the pregnancy, protection, and the selfishness of other people. It'd be naive of me to think that they'll wait until they are married and I want to make sure they have the tools to make good decisions for their own health. I do not want my son going through what his father has gone through the past 15+ years with his ex. I do not want my girls to not be strong enough to insist on protecting their health and futures.

0 comments:

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP