Sunday, July 13, 2008

Emotional Cheating - is it REALLY cheating?

Is cheating defined as when your partner looks elsewhere to fulfill his or her physical needs? What about if there is no sexual cheating? What if your significant other is sharing intimate details about his or her life with another person that he or she isn't sharing with you? What if he or she has an emotional, intimate connection with another person? Is that cheating too?

For me, the answer is YES. Most definitely, without a doubt, that is a betrayal on an entirely different level that in many ways would hurt more than physical cheating. Don't get me wrong - I wouldn't be able to stay with my husband if he physically cheated on me either. I am not wired that way to forgive, work it out, etc. It's too deep of a betrayal to me. However, connecting with a woman on an emotional level that we should be sharing would be a huge loss in itself and again, not something I could work out or accept in my marriage.

If my husband were spending time with another woman, confiding private information to another woman about his life - his wants, his needs, his problems, his marriage - things he should be discussing with and confiding in me about but chose to confide in another woman instead, then that would be cheating to me. He wouldn't have to take off one article of clothing. It'd be cheating in my eyes.

What about you?

1 comments:

Anonymous,  August 15, 2008 at 9:18 PM  

I've been trying to deal with this for months. My husband has an out of town job that was temporary but is now going on three years. He lies often about his contact with a coworker. If I get close to figuring it out, he tell me, but then blames his lies on me, saying that I would not understand. In the meantime, he calls her and she calls him regularly, esp on weekends. They are, I'm told, "very good friends". I'm trying to be openminded, but think that I might be avoiding reality. I need some other ideas about what might really be happening. She has a son and a husband who is disliked (by my husband). She has a son who considers my husband an "uncle". I'm guessing my husband and this woman share confidences. I am feeling very foolish for trying to understand. Is it possible that they are really just friends and that he is not "cheating"?

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP