Friday, July 18, 2008

Donate Hair for Children

Well, after talking about it for months, I did it. I had my hair chopped off. I have been wanting to do it for awhile now but have been waiting for the time and money to get my hair cut. I am donating 10" to Locks of Love. There are other organizations that do the same thing (Wigs for Kids and Beautiful Lengths). My hair will be made into a wig for a child who has lost their hair.

I went into the salon and told them that I wanted to donate my hair. She tied it off into four ponytails (my hair is very thick and couldn't be done in a single pony tail) and measured. Minimum was 8" for Locks of Love but I went with 10". Then, she snipped four times and I had four ponytails to donate.

My 11 year old daughter was upset after she hacked off the four tails. She said, "You don't look like mom anymore." After I let her pick the length of my bangs, she cheered up. The women at the salon said I looked ten years younger which prompted my stepdaughter to say, "not with all that gray she doesn't." Funny kid:) I like the length...it's not heavy or hot on my back anymore.

I cheered up even more when I got carded at the store afterward. It has been a long time since I have been asked for my ID, lol.

These are the "before" pictures:




These are the "after" pictures:






So, who is next? Chop! Chop!

6 comments:

Gemberly July 18, 2008 at 9:16 PM  

That looks great!!! I did the same thing last summer. And my dd did that this summer!

:)

Unbalanced Libra July 18, 2008 at 9:21 PM  

Awww, that's awesome and you look great with shorter hair!

Syn July 19, 2008 at 12:50 PM  

Thanks Gemberly. It feels nice to be able to donate it and have it put to good use rather than just tossing it in the garbage.

Syn July 19, 2008 at 12:52 PM  

Thanks, Lisa. It's nice to be able to do things with it now. Yesterday I let my natural curl have at it and today I pulled it straight. My hair moves now too instead of laying heavy on my back! Plus, it's not getting caught in the car window or car doors anymore.

Bryan had to make the cracks about not getting sassy since I have a sassy cut now (I'm always sassy though) and the expected one about being with another woman now:)

Pococurante July 20, 2008 at 5:39 PM  

Drive by comment ;-) Looks great, better actually. And given the season I bet a lot more comfortable.

Syn July 24, 2008 at 12:11 PM  

Thanks! I really love it. It is a great season to chop it all off and it takes me a lot less time to get ready now.

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP