Friday, May 9, 2008

Have To Know More Than My Kids

...when it comes to drugs.

My oldest is going to be starting junior high school. It is time for me to become knowledgeable on all the drugs that are out there that are going to be pushed under her nose soon. I was a goody goody when I was a kid so I don't know very much about the drugs that were popular back in my day and now there are so many more out there and more dangerous!

So what should I be researching:

  • Drug Names (regular and street/slang names)
  • Symptoms of each particular drug.
  • Side effects and dangers of each drug.
  • What they look like.
  • How they are taken (smoked, ingested, inhaled, huffed...did I miss any?)

Did I miss anything? I'm sure I did. Those are my initial thoughts. I have a lot of educating to do to myself so I can talk intelligently with my child about it.

For more on huffing, I wrote this: click here.

The BIGGEST thing I need to teach my daughter: TO SAY NO. She lets her friends boss her around now so I do worry that she will crack under the peer pressure when it comes to drugs. She's a goody goody like I was when I was a kid, but I was stronger. I hope she toughens up the next few years and learns to stand up for herself.

2 comments:

Dette May 9, 2008 at 7:17 PM  

I had it easy with my first one. He's got great self-confidence and self-esteem, and doesn't cower or give in to peer pressure as easy as the average teen.

We've had conversations about drugs/peer pressure for as long as I can remember... but any tips uncovered here would be MOST helpful for my middle son.

I'd be really interested to hear everyone's thoughts...

Syn May 9, 2008 at 8:22 PM  

My 5th grader doesn't have an ounce of self-esteem or self-confidence. She knows right from wrong but her friends (one in particular) have been able to get her to do things with pressure already (nothing dangerous yet but is the reason why she's "grounded" from "going with" boys until she is mature enough to handle it and make her own decisions).

It worries me. I'm worried that all the discussions we've had already won't mean squat when paired with her lack of self-confidence and a friend's pressure. I have to bring myself current on all the dangers for pre-teens, so I can talk to her sensibly because jr. high is going to be a whole new ballgame for her I'm afraid.

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP