Thursday, May 8, 2008

Faith

I was raised Catholic, though I no longer consider myself Catholic. I did communion, confirmation, catechism, church, confessions...all of it. I was miserable being told what I was to believe and what I was or was not to do. I was miserable having all these questions about what I was being told and nobody giving me satisfactory answers. The fact that our priest drove a black Firebird and ran off with his secretary had nothing to do with my opinion of Catholicism by the way.

I want my children to choose for themselves what they feel in their heart is right for them. I don't want to force any religion on them, like I felt it was for me for many years. I want them to come to their own beliefs out of their own need to learn and feel connected to something universal rather than force something on them and then they come to resent it. (That obviously didn't work for me.) I don't think it is up to me to tell them what they are supposed to believe or feel in their souls. Faith is a personal choice and I didn't like anybody deciding it for me!

I prefer "faith" to "religion" myself.

0 comments:

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP