Monday, May 4, 2009

Part 1: Somebody Stole My Bank Card Number!

Apparently, somebody is having one helluva good time in Great Britain and California with my bank account. I just went online to check balances today. Imagine my surprise (horror!) to find that our bank account is over a thousand dollars in the hole!!

I called our bank. They said it looks like you've been traveling all over having a good time. Yeah, I wish!

I have to go up to our bank in about a half hour to sign the forms to dispute all the charges. What a mess. Now I'm wondering where/how they stole it, if I need to cancel regular credit cards, if my social security number is safe, etc. I will have to look up later how to go about checking on other items for identity theft right away. I'll have to keep in mind to contact the credit agencies too regularly over the next several months and see if they've stolen anything else from me. What a pain.

Damn thieves!!

2 comments:

diane May 4, 2009 at 9:09 PM  

If you are not normally a traveler, I can't believe your bank let these charges go through. Since its use doesn't fit your pattern, red flags should have gone up.

Syn May 4, 2009 at 9:59 PM  

They let them through. They said today after I notified them that they cancelled my card but when I looked again online this evening, about $400 more dollars had been charged to it. I'm not sure if the lag is because they're using it in another country. I head down there in the morning to sign the dispute papers (they couldn't do them today because they were in "preauthorization" mode) then off to the police department to file a police report.

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP