Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Smoke/Fire Alarm Safety Tips

A big worry of mine is a fire occurring in our home while we slept. With bedrooms on two levels, I worry that we couldn't get to all of the kids in time. With the electrical problems we had this past year, almost causing a fire, I am more neurotic about it than ever. I worry about how many smoke alarms is enough and where to place them. So I am looking over smoke alarm tips and thought I'd post a couple here.

  • Smoke alarms should be on every level of your home, including the basement. (We've done this.)
  • Smoke alarms should be placed outside of every separate sleeping area. (We have one in each bedroom plus one in the hall downstairs; one in each bedroom upstairs and one near the hall as well.)
  • Don't install smoke alarms near windows, doors or ducts where a draft can interfere.
  • Don't paint them (it can interfere with operation). If they don't match your decor, well, live with it.
  • Smoke alarms can be interconnected on the house's electrical current so when one goes off in one part of the house, they all go off. What a great idea!!! If anybody in your house sleeps with their bedroom door closed, this is a must. I really like this idea. I wonder how much it costs to have an electrician do this.

2 comments:

Anonymous,  May 6, 2009 at 10:16 PM  

Home Electrical fire safety. There is a solution to electrical fires... This is a must see www.deltaplug.com

insurance companies are getting behind this life saving technology.

Brwneyedgrl08 May 14, 2009 at 3:43 PM  

Being that fire safety is so important, I want to share a new product that I came across. This product has never been made before, it's the first of it's kind,a fire-prevention outlet. What the fire safety product does is with it's thermal technology, it's able to sense abnormal temperatures in electrical wiring devices. Once the abnormal heat is detected, the outlet de-energizing the circuits involved, and is able to stop potential fires before they can start. Pretty neat product, I know I will be installing them in my home.

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP