Monday, February 25, 2008

HPV - Human Papillomavirus

Well, I am still researching whether we should vaccinate our oldest daughter (11) with Gardasil (see older post here). I am still undecided.

I have come across some more interesting information that I thought I'd put out there for those who may not know:

  • Did you know that intercourse isn't necessary to contract HPV? Any kind of sexual activity involving genital contact can transfer HPV.
  • Did you know that many people who have HPV don't show any symptoms? That means the virus can be passed on and you'd not know unless you developed symptoms yourself! If you didn't develop signs or symptoms of it, you would/could still transfer it to other sexual partners.

Here are some more statistics I've come across:

  • Age 15 - 24: In 2000, approx. 9.2 million young adults had HPV (can you imagine how high that number would be if all the young adults who weren't showing any symptoms whatsoever were included).
  • 74% of newly diagnosed are diagnosed in the 15-24 age group.
  • 80% of women will have it by age 50.

The GARDASIL vaccine protects against four types of HPV (6, 11, 16, and 18). I've read that these four types cause 70% of cervical cancers and 90% of genital warts.

GARDASIL ingredients: Purified inactive proteins from those four types of HPV, amorphous aluminum hydroxyphosphate sulfate, sodium chloride, L-histidine, polysorbate 80, sodium borate, and water.

*sigh* This is a hard decision with all the controversy out there about vaccines in general.

While at the pediatrician's office for well-checks, I saw a mom bring three of her pre-teen and teen girls in and tell them at the front desk she wanted the Gardasil vaccine given to all of them at that visit. My daughter whispered to me that they went to her school. They were in and out quickly. The youngest of the three ended up on my daughter's basketball team. She's obviously fine - no adverse reactions.

For another opinion, check this out.

0 comments:

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP