Monday, February 25, 2008

Healthy Thyroid Function

I am going through some articles I've saved...trying to clear the clutter off my table. Since I have thyroid disease, this article about hypothyroidism caught my eye and ended up part of my clutter. It is an article from Health magazine (health.com), the May 2007 issue.

It says a thyroid needs iodine (not too much or else you'll cause other thyroid problems), selenium, and magnesium. My husband would like this - it says sushi is a good source of iodine. He loves sushi. I guess I should be popping my multivitamin more often. I will pass the sushi, seafood, and kelp to my husband and stick to my vitamin.

It talks about raw cruciferous veggies (like broccoli and cabbage) interfering with iodine and thyroid hormone production (so cook them).

I've heard some controvery over fluoride and not just in relation to thyroid. I've heard that you shouldn't be using fluoride toothpaste or drinking water with fluoride. It's one of those things where you just don't know who to believe. Our tap water doesn't have fluoride added to it so the kids have fluoride "swishes" once a week at school. This article talks about how fluoride can decrease production of thyroid hormone and how it moves thru your blood. They recommend rinsing well after brushing and not drinking too much fluoridated tap water.

The last thing was to manage your stress (good luck with that I think to myself). Keep to a workout schedule. Get enough sleep. Ha! Good luck with any of these three if you are a busy mom. Many more good luck wishes if you're a stepmom!

0 comments:

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP